-You said that your father survived but not how did he survive. My father? My father bought fake documents, and with these fake documents he took the train from Belgrade to the south… went to port of Durazzo, in Serbian it’s Drač; I use now Italian name that is more familiar to you, so he went to Durazzo (Durres). In Durazzo he boarded the ship and by this ship he came to Curzola (Korcula)… So, as he got off the boat, the other passengers went their ways, but he remained at the landing, not knowing what to do. A friend of mine, my very dear friend… asked him, „Who are you, what can I do for you.“ …he was also Jewish, not only Jewish but also confined as me… My father asked: „Do you know Fredi?“ Fredi was my nick-name, given by my mother, because she said Alexandar was an emperor, but what I have in my hands it’s a little baby. So I got my nick-name Fredi… Anyway…[my friend Jack] Pinto…said, „Of course I know, I live with him, he is my roommate.“ …Jack Pinto… found me, I met my father, within three of four hours we had a room rented and… applied to the Carabinieri office. So in the late afternoon he was…[registered] by the authorities of the island of Korcula. He stayed together with me to the capitulation of Italy… I went to the Partisans, and father to Italy. Then he stayed in Italy until… May of 1945. In the summer of 1945 he returned from Italy… to Spalato, where I was already married
– And your mother ?
– O my God… you can take it from the book. My mother met very,very tragic, very very tragic fate. It is great pain to me to narrate this story. You can find it in my book under title My Mother. I wrote it down, but it is awful… it is awful, awkwardly awful. There is a rape before being shot.
– No! I’ll tell you that impersonal side of this story. Here in the Balkans, there was… SS Waffen division.
-Waffen SS division, volksdeutche, Croats, Albanians… And also war prisoners converted to
– Russians-war prisoners, indeed that unit that performed crime on my mother, they were not Russians…I don’t know either Mongols or Caucasians… they found my mother hidden in Loznica, raped her night after night…and her landlady asked German police to save her from the atrocities of the SS people. The police came and understood very soon that she is not Serbian but Austrian and took her to the camp of Šabac where she spent a week and again from Šabac was transferred to the camp of Belgrade, because she was a Belgradian. And within one week after her arrival in the camp of Belgrade she was shot in Jajinci… The German policy was that all these foreign nationals…to form SS divisions. I wrote it in my book under the title Bashibozuk.
-O yes, bashibozuk.
– I see you know what bashibozuk is. It is in Turkish
– Not only Albanians…Any Moslem population could form bashibozuk and bashibozuk units existed already in the medieval age, and they always accompanied the regular Turkish army. And the Turks used them in order to make the occupied population…
– To crush them?
– To crush the occupied population.